Most would look at the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and see a vehicle built for extremes — and they would be absolutely correct. But engineers in Affalterbach looked at the G-Class and said, "Let's make it more extreme." Thus the Mercedes-AMG G 63 was born. And now, they´ve taken that machine to its furthest extreme yet, with a 2019 model that preserves the icon's classic design while making it capable of extraordinary feats.
Those capabilities are powered by an ingenious new drivetrain. The handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine generates 577 hp and 627 lb-ft of torque. It sprints from 0-60 in just 4.4 seconds. And its two twin scroll turbochargers guarantee a whip-fast response. That power and agility are further enhanced by a 9-speed transmission that uses model-specific software to achieve remarkably fast shift times. In a further departure from the previous model, the AMG Performance 4MATIC all-wheel drive now features a 40 to 60 percent front/rear torque distribution, giving the G 63 maximum traction during acceleration.
When it´s time to leave the well-traveled road — or any road at all, for that matter — the G 63 is in its element. In addition to five AMG DYNAMIC SELECT on-road programs, there are three off-road modes — "Sand," "Trail" and "Rock" — that guarantee the best performance whatever environment you´re in. The bodyshell has been constructed with a new material mix of steel and aluminum to preserve a lighter weight while delivering improved strength and durability.
Outside, the G 63 remains one of the most iconic designs on any road. Inside, it departs from tradition, with a completely redesigned dashboard featuring analogue tubes, dial instruments and a Widescreen Cockpit. It´s also larger and more spacious in every dimension, bringing total command to every adventure.
- Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine
- 577 hp and 627 lb-ft of torque*
- Top speed of 137 mph*
- 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds (est.)*
- AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission
- AMG Performance 4MATIC+ with rear-biased torque distribution of 40:60
- AMG Performance steering wheel
- AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adaptive adjustable damping for increased safety and comfort
- Five DYNAMIC SELECT drive modes: Slippery, Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Individual, plus three additional off-road modes: Sand, Trail and Rock
- LED High Performance headlamps